Starting a diet can be scary, especially if you are looking for a life-style change. This guide will help take some of the “cold” out of “cold-feet”. When you have the proper education and preparation, you stand a much higher chance to succeed.
KETO EAT LIST:
Full Fat Cheeses, Heavy Whipping Creams, Real Butter, Coconut Oil, Avocados, Olive Oil, Fatty cuts of meat, Eggs, Nuts (Only eat 1 serving as these do have carbs in them), MCT Oil, Fish, Fatty Lunch Meats (Pepperoni, Salami, Ham), Bacon, Veggies (Kale, Spinach, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts), Pink Himalayan Salt/Sea Salt, and LOTS of water (For electrolytes you can drink Powerade ZERO, this will bypass most of the need for you to take pill or powder form supplements)
DON’T EAT LIST:
Starchy Vegetables (Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Corn), Fruits (EXCEPT Berries, only eat Berries in moderation), Grains, Chips, Cookies, Crackers, Rice, Pasta, Cereals, Juices, and Sodas, Milk, Coffee Creamer, Honey, bad fats (margarine, Crisco, vegetable oil, hydrogenated oils, etc.) Cashews (these contain 8 grams net carb per 1 ounce!)
Heavy Cream instead of Coffee Creamer
Almond Flour instead of Flour
Stevia or Monk Fruit Sweetener instead of Sugar
My recommended Craving Killers:
- Dark Chocolate Strawberries: Mix 1 square chopped Ghirardelli dark chocolate (the higher % cacao, the lower the carbs, I personally use 86%) 2 packets of Sweet-n-low or Stevia, 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Microwave for 30 seconds, just enough to melt chocolate. Mix with a spoon. Drizzle over strawberries or dip strawberries, whichever you prefer. You can also add Ready Whip to top (Red Can).
What are Macros and how do I set them?
75% Fat, 20% Protein, 5% Carbs each day. You can adjust Fat and Protein after becoming fat adapted and hitting a stall. You would only adjust about 10% between Fat and Protein.
What are some signs of Ketosis?
Signs like bad breath, loss of appetite, possible nausea, cloudiness, muscle cramps, tired and dehydrated. (These are all expected between days 3 and 7, also known as the “keto flu”. Symptoms will go away after your body has dumped its extra water weight and has adapted to fats over carbohydrates. During days 1 to 3 your body burns the carbs you have stored)
You NEED Electrolytes on a Ketogenic Diet!
One of the first effects of a keto diet is a rapid improvement in sensitivity to insulin. Low carb eating causes insulin levels to fall, and the body starts to recover from insulin resistance. As insulin falls, the kidneys begin to release fluid. As kidneys release fluid, it becomes easier for the body to oxidize the stored fat. The bad news is that as the extra water goes out, so does essential sodium, magnesium, and potassium (SMP). When sodium levels fall, there are rough side effects like headaches, dizziness, cramping, and low energy. A continued lack of SMP is not good for your body, you need these electrolytes to function.
Tips to achieving your Electrolytes:
Your requirements are 5,000 – 7,000 mg sodium, 300 – 500 mg magnesium, and 1,000 – 3,500 mg potassium achieved throughout the day.
Add Himalayan pink salt or sea salt to your coffee, water or other keto friendly beverages. You can also drink pickle juice, eat olives, pickles or just simply add the salt to your meals.
Potassium and Magnesium are things that you’ll consume throughout your day.
List of veggies to consume for Potassium:
- Leafy greens; Kale, Collards, Mustard Greens, ect.
List of foods to consume for Magnesium:
- Dark Chocolate (the higher Cacao percentage, the better)
- Nuts (keep in mind, certain nuts are higher in carbs)
- Pumpkin Seeds and Flaxseed
- Leafy Greens
Complete Wellness Supplements:
Discount Code: KCKETOJOURNEY
Dietary Kitchen Gourmet Chocolate Brownies:
Discount Code: NEWFRIENDS
Keto Friendly Alcoholic Beverages:
Tequila (0 carbs), Whiskey (0 carbs), Vodka (0 carbs), Rum (0 Carbs), Brandy (0 carbs), Gin (0 Carbs), Cognac (0 carbs)
DO NOT ADD SYRUPS OR SUGARS.
My weight loss has stalled, what now?
Weight loss stalls happen to everyone, and they are extremely frustrating. You can try a different number of methods that may help you out – ranging from cutting certain foods out of your diet to changing your eating patterns through intermittent fasting.
Here’s a list of common suggestions that are normally advised to people that aren’t losing weight:
- Switch to measuring instead of weighing
- Increase fat intake
- Decrease your carb intake
- Stop eating nuts
- No processed foods
- Look for hidden carbs
- Say bye to Artificial Sweeteners
- Stop eating Dairy
- BPC: This is known as Bulletproof Coffee. It’s normally butter, oil, and coffee mixed together, to help you feel full in the morning.
- MCT Oil: Medium Chain Triglyceride. These helps boost your metabolism.
Why are vegetables good carbs?
Non-starchy veggies are low in caloric intake, low in carbs but are packed with nutrients, antioxidants and minerals. Your body doesn’t digest Fiber or absorb it like other carbohydrates, that’s why we look for NET carbs, not total.
- Almonds:3 grams net carbs (6 grams total carbs)
- Brazil nuts:1 gram net carbs (3 grams total carbs)
- Macadamia nuts:2 grams net carbs (4 grams total carbs)
- Pecans:1 gram net carbs (4 grams total carbs)
- Pistachios:5 grams net carbs (8 grams total carbs)
- Walnuts:2 grams net carbs (4 grams total carbs)
- Chia seeds:1 gram net carbs (12 grams total carbs)
- Flaxseeds: 0 grams net carbs (8 grams total carbs)
- Pumpkin seeds:4 grams net carbs (5 grams total carbs)
- Sesame seeds:3 grams net carbs (7 grams total carbs)